Friday, March 23, 2012

Planning for the Unthinkable

Money is tight right now. (Welcome to day care.) But about a year ago, I started paying into something that I think is worth the money. I bought a life insurance policy for Moe. 

My friend plastikgyrl blogged about this years ago, and even then, before I was a parent, it struck a chord with me.

Nobody wants to think about losing their child. But I need to know that if the unthinkable happened I would have the resources to grieve properly. We would both need time away from work. We would want to say goodbye without worrying about how much it cost. We might need to travel a bit, to get away from the places where the memories are most painful. This insurance policy would let us do that. 

And when Moe turns 18, it's his. He has automatic life insurance, at the same premiums I'm paying now. He may not realize it at the time, but that's quite a gift. 

Like I said, nobody wants to think about the unthinkable. But I know several people who have had to go through the unthinkable in the past few years, and, well, it got me thinking.

(Now if I could just get my shit together and pay someone to write our wills.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. Because of it, I contacted my insurance company to get a policy for Petite. It truly is unthinkable, but it is a task that definitely needed to be done and you gave me the much needed poke to get off my butt and get it finished.

    ReplyDelete